Sporting Quiz of 2021
Updated: Jan 15
Well, we made it.
With the end of the year, and the fresh start that 2022 will offer many of us, now so near, it feels like a good time to take stock and look back over the past 12 months.
With that in mind, I present to you the second annual Long Story Sport quiz of the sporting year! Fifty questions, fifty points on offer; please do share your scores with me and share this quiz far and wide to any and all interested family and friends.
For one final time in 2021, let's do this.
1) With six gold medals, plus four silver and two bronze, in which sport did Team GB find the most success at the Games?
2) Which American won the most gold medals in Tokyo, taking home five, and also broke two world records for good measure?
3) 62-year-old Andrew Hoy won a silver and a bronze to become the oldest medallist at the Games; in what sport does he compete?
4) Which country swept the board to win gold, silver, and bronze in the women’s 100m?
5) Which tennis player lit the Olympic cauldron in the opening ceremony at Tokyo’s National Stadium?
6) Who scored the winner in the final as Chelsea defeated Manchester City 1-0 to win the Champions League?
7) Which team brought Manchester City’s run of three League Cups in a row to an end by knocking them out on penalties in the last 16 in October?
8) Who scored all of England’s first three goals of Euro 2020, two of which came in different 1-0 group stage wins before opening the scoring in a 2-0 last 16 defeat of Germany?
9) Despite being born and raised in Stoke, which Championship striker was called up to the Chile national team in May, and went on to play for the side in this year’s Copa América?
10) Who claimed the Golden Glove for the second season in a row in May after keeping 19 clean sheets in last season’s Premier League?
11) Which English county were victorious in both the County Championship and Bob Willis Trophy this year?
12) Who hit his first international century at Edgbaston in the third ODI of England’s whitewash series win over Pakistan in July?
13) Who took 11 wickets, including three in the final, as his side emerged victorious at the World Twenty20?
14) At what venue was the World Test Championship Final between India and New Zealand held in June?
15) Who skippered England Women to four successive white-ball series victories over India and New Zealand this summer, hitting 101 in the series-deciding fourth ODI against the latter?
16) At what Grand Prix did George Russell score his first podium in Formula One, and his team Williams’s first since 2017?
17) Which former world champion was disqualified in Hungary after a required amount of fuel could not be taken from his car after the race?
18) With Max Verstappen’s Drivers’ Championship victory but Mercedes retaining their Constructors’ title, this was the first season since when that the winning driver did not come from the winning constructor?
19) At the Italian Grand Prix, who became the only team to record a one-two finish throughout 2021?
20) Who retired at the end of the season after 19 seasons driving in Formula One, and bowed out by being voted Driver of the Day at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix?
21) Which Scotsman was named Player of the Tournament in this year’s men’s Six Nations?
22) The 2021 European Champions Cup final, held at Twickenham, was contested by two teams both from which country?
23) Who finished as top points scorer in the 2020-21 Premiership, before going on to make his full England test debut against the United States in July?
24) Which country won their third title in a row in this year’s women’s Six Nations?
25) In March, what city hosted the Grand Final of the Pro14 for the second successive year; both finalists also came from the same country in which the final was hosted?
26) Which team won the League Leaders’ Shield for the first time in the 2021 Super League, but finished runners-up to St Helens in the Grand Final?
27) Which former Leeds Rhinos skipper ran 101 miles in 24 hours from Leicester to Leeds to raise money for research into MND in honour of former teammate Rob Burrow, eventually surpassing £2 million in donations?
28) Which New South Wales side won their third Australian NRL title in 2021?
29) Following the expulsion of Toronto Wolfpack, who were promoted from the Championship to fill the vacancy in the Super League?
30) What Super League stadium hosted every one of the Challenge Cup quarter-finals, with all four kicking off within 24 hours of each other across two days in May?
31) What country does Alexander Zverev, gold medallist at the Olympics and ATP Tour Finals winner, represent?
32) Including her progress through the qualifiers, how many different opponents did Emma Raducanu defeat on her way to the women’s US Open title in September?
33) Who ended Novak Djokovic’s hopes of winning all four Grand Slams in a calendar year by defeating him in the final of the men’s US open?
34) What Grand Slam was the only one won by women’s world number one Ashleigh Barty?
35) What Italian city hosted the season-ending men’s ATP Tour Finals?
36) Which legendary tight end came out of retirement ahead of the last NFL season and caught two touchdown passes to help the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to victory in Super Bowl LV in February?
37) Which player was named MVP in the 2021 NBA Finals as he helped the Milwaukee Bucks to their first title since 1971?
38) Who defeated the Houston Astros 4-2 in the 2021 World Series to win their first MLB title since 1995?
39) At what stadium did the NFL host both of its 2021 London Games?
40) Who were victorious in the 2021 Stanley Cup Finals, seeing off the Montreal Canadiens 4-1 to win their second successive NHL title?
41) Who became the first Japanese male golfer to win a major championship with victory by one stroke at the Masters in April?
42) Who defeated Caleb Plant by TKO in a November fight in Las Vegas to become the first boxer in history to be undisputed champion at super middleweight?
43) Who rode Minella Times to victory in the Grand National, and was subsequently crowned BBC World Sport Star of the Year for 2021?
44) Four swimming events at the Tokyo Paralympics resulted in podium sweeps for the same country, but which one?
45) Who won the 2021 World Snooker Championship for his fourth title, defeating Shaun Murphy 18-15 in the final?
46) Ethiopian Sisay Lemma won which running event, held in October this year?
47) Which American gymnast was given a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2021 BBC Sports Personality of the Year ceremony?
48) Which Scotsman did Gerwyn Price defeat in the final of the 2021 World Darts Championship?
49) What sport does 13-year-old Sky Brown, who became Britain’s youngest ever Olympic medallist with bronze in Tokyo, compete in?
50) Which of cycling’s three Grand Tours was both the only one not to be won by a Slovenian rider and also the only one to see a British rider finish in the top three?
You'll find the answers at the bottom of the page. Whether you got 5 or 45 right, there's no judgement at all, so do please make sure to comment on Facebook or reply on Twitter to let me know how you got on!
As ever, I'm always open to comments, suggestions, queries, and feedback, so please do get in touch using the form at the bottom of the homepage or through my social channels. You can like my Facebook here, and you can also follow me on Twitter here. Connecting with me through social media brings the benefit of being among the first to know when I post something new!
I also have a YouTube channel, where I post videos relating to a whole variety of sporting topics. I kicked things off earlier this year with a series called The County Review, where a guest and I discuss all the goings-on across the county cricket circuit, and the good news is that another sporting series is hopefully ready to join the ranks in the New Year! You can view all that here.
As 2021 draws to a close, I also want to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Along with a Winter Olympics, a women's Cricket World Cup, and of course a men's FIFA World Cup, let's see what else 2022 brings us, and hope for a prosperous year for all.
1) Cycling, 2) Caeleb Dressel, 3) Equestrian, 4) Jamaica, 5) Naomi Osaka, 6) Kai Havertz, 7) West Ham United, 8) Raheem Sterling, 9) Ben Brereton Díaz, 10) Ederson.
11) Warwickshire, 12) James Vince, 13) Josh Hazlewood, 14) Ageas Bowl (Southampton), 15) Heather Knight, 16) Belgian Grand Prix, 17) Sebastian Vettel, 18) 2008, 19) McLaren, 20) Kimi Raikkonen.
21) Hamish Watson, 22) France, 23) Marcus Smith, 24) England, 25) Dublin, 26) Catalans Dragons, 27) Kevin Sinfield, 28) Penrith Panthers, 29) Leigh Centurions, 30) Headingley Stadium.
31) Germany, 32) Eleven, 33) Daniil Medvedev, 34) Wimbledon, 35) Turin, 36) Rob Gronkowski, 37) Giannis Antetokounmpo, 38) Atlanta Braves, 39) Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, 40) Tampa Bay Lightning.
41) Hideki Matsuyama, 42) Saul ‘Canelo’ Álvarez, 43) Rachael Blackmore, 44) China, 45) Mark Selby, 46) London Marathon, 47) Simone Biles, 48) Gary Anderson, 49) Skateboarding, 50) Giro d’Italia.